Hockey Canada Board Chairman Resigns | CBC Sports

Spread the love

The latest development in the Hockey Canada controversy saw Michael Brind’Amour resign on Friday night as chairman of its board of directors, effective immediately.

“My last term ends in November 2022 and I know there is no need to wait for a new era. Immediate action is essential to address the significant challenges facing our organization and our sport,” Brind’Amour said through a newscast. of Hockey Canada. release.

Hockey Canada’s board of directors and members will meet in the coming days to determine next steps and appoint an interim president.

The next board election is scheduled for the November annual meeting.

In June, the federal government froze the organization’s access to public funds for its response to an alleged sexual assault and subsequent settlement.

A woman filed a $3.5 million lawsuit in April that said in 2018, eight hockey players, including members of Canada’s junior world team, sexually assaulted her. Hockey Canada settled with a young woman the following month.

The complainant says she has always fully cooperated with a police investigation into her case, despite Hockey Canada originally saying she did not.

COMING SOON LIVE | Sports Minister will discuss recent meeting with provincial sports ministers:

Sports Minister Pascale St-Onge will discuss a recent meeting with provincial sports ministers

Sports Minister Pascale St-Onge will meet with her provincial counterparts as Hockey Canada faces criticism over its handling of sexual assault allegations against professional hockey players.

Recently, retail giant Canadian Tire and telecommunications company Telus, among others, stopped their sponsorships of Hockey Canada.

And last month, Hockey Canada executives testified before a House of Commons committee on Wednesday saying they had paid $8.9 million in sexual abuse settlements to 21 whistleblowers since 1989 from the “National Equity Fund,” which they said which is generated by membership fees and investments.

CLOCK | Hockey Canada has paid out 21 sexual misconduct settlements since 1989

Hockey Canada has paid out 21 sexual misconduct settlements since 1989

Hockey Canada officials revealed that the organization has paid nearly $9 million in settlements since 1989 to 21 people alleging sexual misconduct.

“I have listened carefully and carefully to Canadians’ feedback on the culture of our sport and our organization, and on our actions and leadership,” Brind’Amour said in a statement. “I understand that the actions we have taken in recent weeks are part of the solution.

“I am confident that the Honorable Thomas Cromwell, CC, has agreed to lead a governance review of our organization that will help us make the necessary changes. I am confident that the recommendations will guide the organization towards a future of desired change.”

On Friday, Canada’s 13 regional hockey federations announced they are threatening to withhold dues payments from Hockey Canada considering the organization’s alleged mishandling of sexual assault allegations in 2018.

Spearheaded by Hockey Quebec, the organizations sent a letter Thursday requesting a detailed action plan and an “extraordinary” meeting by the end of November to address their concerns.

The lawsuit brief, which has not been proven in court, says the hockey players brought golf clubs into the hotel room to further intimidate her, ordered the woman to shower after the sexual assault, and told her to said she was sober while they were recording a video. consent video

LOOK: Hockey Canada will ban players who do not cooperate with the investigation:

Lawyer Danielle Robitaille says Hockey Canada will ban players who don’t participate in the investigation

Robitaille appeared before a House of Commons standing committee that looks into allegations of sexual abuse in sport. Robitaille said legal advisers for eight of the nine players he hasn’t spoken with told him they are concerned about being prosecuted earlier by Hockey Canada.

As the Globe and Mail first reported earlier this week, the whistleblower’s attorney, Robert Talach, released a statement saying his client clearly told police in June 2018 that he wanted charges filed. penalties.

Talach provided a number of new details about the case, including that his client spoke to a detective within days of the alleged sexual assault and had a physical at a hospital.

His client also gave his clothes to police for examination and met with officers on two other occasions that summer, Talach said. After seven months, he was told the investigation was closed and no charges would be filed.

Following an eruption of public outrage, London’s police chief recently announced that he would conduct an internal review to “determine what, if any, further avenues of investigation exist”.

Talach said his law firm set up a polygraph test for the woman and she passed. The results have since been provided to police and investigators from Hockey Canada and the NHL, which launched its own investigation in May.

Talach confirmed that his client will not sit down for an interview with Hockey Canada or NHL investigators because he already provided an eight-page statement, five pages of photos and 4.5 pages of text messages.

#Hockey #Canada #Board #Chairman #Resigns #CBC #Sports

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.