Samsung is holding a big fall event on Wednesday, August 10, where we expect to see two foldable phones, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 and Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4, along with two Galaxy Watch 5 watches and new Galaxy Buds.
Superfilter Evan Blass recently posted a massive gallery of all the new gadgets(Opens in a new window) on the Indian website he works with, 91Mobiles. Show each device in a variety of different colors. I encourage you to go to Evan’s story to see the full range.
The event will be virtual, taking place at 9am ET on August 10, and you can watch it on Samsung’s website.(Opens in a new window) or on youtube(Opens in a new window). But the people of New York City are in for a special surprise: A huge, mysterious Samsung pop-up space has appeared on 10th Avenue, near the High Line in Manhattan (pictured above), and the hours at the currently closed gate say it will be open from August 11-31.
If you’re not in ET, here are other time zones for the Unpacked event:
6 a.m. Pacific time
19:00 in Mumbai
21:00 in Taipei
22:00 in Seoul
23:00 in Sydney
When will these products be available?
Currently you can “reserve” the new Samsung products to get a special coupon, without commitment. They are anticipated to go on pre-sale shortly after the event ends, with an on-sale date of August 26.
They will be available from all major US carriers, as well as Samsung, Best Buy and Amazon. Samsung will almost certainly have aggressive trade-in offers for its old phones and watches.
The new pop-up space occupies most of a block along Tenth Avenue. (Sasha Segan)
How much will they cost?
One of the big questions about the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 and Z Fold4 is how much they will cost in the US.
Samsung mobile boss TM Roh says his goal is to make foldable devices “mainstream” this year, which may indicate more affordable prices. The Galaxy Z Flip3 cost $999.99 and accounted for 70% of Samsung’s foldable sales last year; the Galaxy Z Fold3, at $1,799.99, was the other 30%.
A recent leak from a Dutch Amazon page(Opens in a new window) for the Z Fold4 it claims the phone will cost $10,374. I can say with 100% confidence that the Galaxy Z Fold4 will not cost more than $5,000.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip4 looks a lot like the Z Flip3, based on renders and leaks. The biggest immediate change is what looks like a less protruding hinge, which will make the whole device feel a bit smaller in your pocket.
A writer from 91Mobiles claims to have specifications for the phone. Most important is a bigger battery: 3,700 mAh vs. 3,300 mAh on the Z Flip3. I mentioned the Z Flip3’s battery life as its biggest drawback in my review. He also says that the front screen is slightly larger, going from 1.9 to 2.1 inches.
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold4
Reliable leaker Ice Universe showed off a Fold4 (right) alongside a Fold3 (left) and calls it “a more streamlined version of Fold3.” You can see from your comparison that the Fold4 is slightly shorter and wider, giving the front screen a more natural aspect ratio; the bezel also appears to be thinner.
Ice also tweeted a few other specs earlier this year, including a new camera system with 50MP, 12MP ultra-wide, and 10MP 3x zoom cameras. Maybe I just like ice right now because it’s 90 degrees in my home office.
A Twitter leaker I am not aware of has been endorsed by Ice Universe, a leaker I trust. He gives good news about some performance improvements with the new Qualcomm Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 processor, but notes that charging is still limited to 25 watts.
Samsung Galaxy5 Watch
A French website, Dealabs, appears to give many of the details.(Opens in a new window) about the new watches, which will go on sale on August 26. The main Watch5, which replaces the base Watch4 model, will come in 40mm and 44mm sizes in Bluetooth and 4G models. The Galaxy Watch5 Pro, a more resistant device, will be only 45mm in size.
The watches run Google’s Wear OS on Samsung Exynos W920 processors, according to the site, and are rated IP68 for waterproofing.
The new pop-up space will be open for two weeks after the product launch. (Credit: Sascha Segan)
Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro
The German website WinFuture claims to have complete information(Opens in a new window) on the Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 Pro earphones. According to the site, the Buttons will have eight hours of battery life per charge, for a total of 29 hours in its charging case.
The Buds will have 10mm main drivers and a 5.3mm high-frequency tweeter. They will offer a 33dB reduction in ambient sound with their active noise cancellation. They will be expensive, though: at $233 in Europe, they rival Apple’s AirPods Pro.
We hope to get hands-on with these new devices right after the launch event.
Do you like what you are reading?
Enroll in fully mobilized newsletter to get our top mobile tech stories delivered straight to your inbox.
#Galaxy #Flip4 #watch5 #expect #Samsungs #August #Unpacked #event