This story is part ofCNET’s collection of news, tips and advice on Apple’s most popular product.
Although Apple only released— your latest update for the Operating system: nine days ago, the company already released two beta versions of iOS 16.1 for users enrolled in its developer program.
The first beta version of iOS 16.1 brought developer tools for the newand a clean power charging function. The second beta adds fixes for matchmaking. and copy and paste, but the biggest news is a completely new look for the re-introduced battery percentage icon.
Versus, Apple has agreed to some of its users’ demands. With the new beta, the battery meter icon in iOS 16 with the added battery percentage now depletes as the battery level decreases. In the current stable version of iOS 16, the battery icon with the added numeric percentage will show full until it reaches 20% and turns red.
Even if you really want that new battery percentage design, should you download and install iOS 16.1 beta 2? And how do you do it?
Although it is easy to download and install iOS 16.1, the beta versions for developers, especially since they can have unfinished features and issues that can make it difficult to use the iPhone. Some iPhone apps may not yet fully work with iOS 16.1. These early beta releases are intended for developers, to help them keep their apps up to date while providing early access to the newest features.
Soon,on your primary iPhone. If you really want to get iOS 16.1 sooner, try to find a replacement iPhone that’s new enough ( ) to work with iOS 16.1 instead. For those who still want to dive in, we’ll show you how to install the developer version of iOS 16.1, as well as what to do in case you want to go back to a stable version of iOS 16.
If you want to learn more about iOS 16, check out all the new features you should know about, including someAnd some others .
What you need to know before downloading the iOS 16.1 developer beta
Because the iOS 16.1 developer beta is an early preview version, the software could have bugs and other issues.
Again, if you’re thinking of downloading iOS 16.1, do it on a secondary or backup phone, if available. Issues in the iOS 16.1 developer beta could cripple your iPhone and make it difficult to use, disabling phone calls or text messages or making it extremely slow. However, if you only have your primary phone or tablet available, make sure thaton iOS 16 before updating to iOS 16.1. That way, you have the option to go back to iOS 16 if there are too many problems with the new OS.
Also, you must have a iPhone 8 or later to run iOS 16.1. iOS 16 and its updates are not compatible with iPhone SE (2016), iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone 7, or iPhone 7 Plus and earlier.
To download iOS 16.1 beta 2 for developers, you must be enrolled in the Apple Developer Program, which costs $99 per year. If you don’t want the latest developer beta, you can join the Apple Beta Software program and download the public beta for free (currently iOS 16, but soon to be iOS 16.1).
How to enroll in the Apple Developer Program
The first step to getting iOS 16.1 developer beta 2 on your iPhone or iPad is to sign up for the Apple Developer Program if you’re not already a member. If you’re on your iPhone or iPad, here’s how you can sign up:
1. Download the Apple Developer app from the App Store.
two. Start the app, go to Bill and touch sign up now.
3. Sign in with your Apple ID credentials.
4. Read the various benefits and instructions, enter your personal information and scan your ID to verify your identity.
5. Once this information is submitted, you must choose your entity (individual for most people) and accept the program license agreement.
6. Finally, pay Apple’s developer membership fee (using Apple Pay), which is $99 (about £80 or AU$140) a year.
After successful payment, you will be redirected to your account page in the Apple Developer app. Here you can verify that you are already enrolled and you can also check the expiration date of your membership next year.
Install iOS 16.1 beta 2 with an over-the-air update on your iPhone
The easiest way to download iOS 16.1 developer beta 2 is via an over-the-air update, the same way you would update to any other new software version on your device. That is how:
1. On your iPhone or iPad, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, tap install profile for iOS 16.1 beta 2 and tap Allow.
two. Then open the Settings app, tap downloaded profile and hit Install at the top right when it appears. Enter your passcode if prompted, and then tap Install two times more. Your phone will need to reboot.
3. Once your phone restarts, connect it to power, make sure you have Wi-Fi, and go to Settings > General > Software update. If you don’t instantly see an available update, wait a few minutes and check again.
4. Finally hit Download and install > Install and enter your password to update your device.
After your phone finishes rebooting, you should have access to the latest iOS 16.1 Developer Beta 2 build.
Download iOS 16.1 Developer Beta Using Your Mac
Over-the-air updates require a certain amount of storage, and if you don’t have that available, using your computer is really the only way to update to iOS 16.1 beta 2 without manually freeing up space.
1. On your Mac, go to the Apple Developer Program download page, search for iOS 16.1 beta 2, and click Download restore images.
two. Download the iOS beta software restore image for your specific device.
3. Then connect your device to your computer and enter your device passcode or press trust this computer if requested.
4. Open Finder and click on your device in the sidebar below locations.
5. Under General, next to Software, you’ll see the latest software running on your device.
6. Hold down the Option key click Check To update and choose the iOS 16.1 beta 2 software restore image you just downloaded from the Apple developer page.
iOS 16 beta 2 software will be installed on your device. Wait a few minutes and when your phone reboots, you should have access to the latest version of iOS 16.1.
If you just want to run the regular iOS 16,. And after you do with the new iPhone OS.
#iOS #Beta #improves #iPhone #battery #icon #install